Nervous Mouse Syndrome

Bob McConnell rmcconne at lightlink.com
Fri Apr 4 16:16:37 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>
>> WHOA!  Hold IT!  Put on the brakes!   <GRIN>
>>
>> I'm not sure why it seems some of you believe I have a wireless.  I probably wasn't clear....  my
>> mouse is corded with an PS2 (little round) plug....   it's just an optical track ball.
>
> When I have a corded optical mouse do this, it's often been because:
>
> a) the surface was SMOOOOOOTH and unbroken in color, and that mouse was
> going ga ga because it couldn't see a difference in the surface.  Used a
> mousepad or a sheet of paper and it suddenly worked.
>
> b) the surface was SHINY, or transparent with an offset (i.e., plexi or
> glass surface on top of a desk) so it scattered the light and told the
> mouse it was moving when it wasn't.
>
> I've read about a case where a mouse went nuts because sunlight was
> shining just right at a particular time of day and it was creeping into
> the mouse housing and interfering with a sensor.  Remove the hand,
> pointer was moving by itself.
>
> Don't know if any of these help...
>
> -Bart

An optical mouse can also get confused if there are strong contrasts in
the image on the mouse pad. Sharp edges between black and white areas
are the worst. A clean piece of colored paper seems to work best. In
Joseph's case, the MS-Windows drivers may just be better at catching the
mouse tripping over those boundaries.

Last year my wife got a promotional mouse pad with star-bursts and white
on black printed text. Even with MS-Windows the pointer would jump half
way across the screen for no apparent reason. That stopped when we
replaced that pad with one that had only a single color. I have seen
similar problems at work. The fix was always to replace the noisy pad.

Personally, I prefer the Logitech Marble Mouse. But even that one has to
be cleaned regularly. All four that I have came with USB connectors and
a PS/2 adapter. I have used them both ways.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP