Problem with Archiving .tar

Richard cms0009 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 06:13:16 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 12:12:13 am Chris Lemire wrote:
> Richard: I'm sorry I can't help, but I _can_ say that on my (gutsy) kde
> desktop, I can still right click on a folder and get a "Compress" context
> menu. That menu contains "Compress as FILENAME.tar.gz"; "Compress as "
> (with a submenu for all the compression types supported by Ark); "Add to"
> (presumably a most-recently-used list of archives created by this tool);
> and "Add to archive...". As far as I can see, these work.
> --
> derek

Sorry, Derek it does not work,
Yes, I too, am using kubuntu 7.10,
Have been trying to archive, using .tar only, on a 1.7GB folder, in the home directory,
the action is in the contextual menu for archive (just select) .tar
I notice it does work on smaller files size, say 650MB, but try 8-9 times on the folder in the
home directory, and its just hangs.

that is why I posted the problem in the first place... I don't know why a couple of
you, don't understand that, and want to flame the command line as a reply to the problem.
instead of trying to figure out what's causing the problem.

As I clearly mention before, in my previous emails to the list,
it worked fine in 6.x - 7.04 in (K)ubuntu

Side note: I did install sbackup and it works just fine, backing that 1.7GB folder
to my external hard drive (usb). and I restored it to my desktop just fine too.

Second: I will re-install some of the archive and compression utilities again
encase there a broken links omewhere...(grasping at straws).

Enclosing:
Just trying to report a possible bug? perhaps.

=====
Richard