Recommendation: good file compare program ?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Wed Oct 31 02:14:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 07:58 +0100, Alexandre Franke wrote:
> On 10/29/07, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
> > What is the best program to compare 2 of these files i.e.
> > the first (system inst set) and my current one ???
>
> You might want to check out Meld.

If you've got the "Nautilus Actions Configuration" package installed,
you can even add meld to the context menu to compare two separate files.
Just fire up System/Preferences/Nautilus Actions Configuration,
click on Add
For Label: enter "Compare"
For Icon: enter "/usr/share/pixmaps/meld.png"
For Path: enter "/usr/bin/meld"
For Parameters: enter "%M"
On the Conditions tab,
Select "Both" for "Appears if selection contains"
and tick on for "Appears if selection has multiple files or folders"

Then you can select two files, right click, and select "Compare" and
meld will show you the differences between the two.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding