Feisty Meta physics

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Oct 30 06:17:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 18:33 -0700, Carl Spitzer wrote:
> Now for the third time I have reinstalled ubuntu gnome version.
> Though I did a total clean install formatting /home also a wireless
> connection is seen as wired and thereby makes the internet inaccessible.

What exactly do you mean, "a wireless connection is seen as wired"?

> The only difference between now and the first time is /home is a
> separate partition.  is Ubuntu wedded to the all in one partition with
> swap on the side?

Not at all, you can lay out your partitions as you like.

> Also I was before installing the KDE stuff which is also on the dvd but
> now the package manager does not see it.

I'm afraid we need more information. Which commands did you use to
install, which commands do you use that don't let the package manager
see the packages?

Also, what exactly were you doing? Was the installation of the KDE stuff
successful?

> What is up with this.  If the drive were not so small I would put Suse
> 10.0 on it and let it just work.

You can have trouble installing any distribution, either caused by
issues with particular hardware, or by issues with the operator's
knowledge about a particular distro.