PowerPC gutsy install disaster

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 14:13:42 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, James Tappin <sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> Since the root partition on my iBook G3 had become too small and there
> were 20 GB of dead-space on my HD containing MacOS X which I've not used
> in 2 years I decided to back the whole lot up to an external drive and
> repartition.
>
> Live CD: No boot at all.
> Alternate: Boots and installs, but then on the reboot it hangs up as
> soon as the kernel starts to boot (as best I can tell it's made an
> invalid initramfs).
>
> Has anyone had any better luck with similar systems (either with the
> Kubuntu or the Ubuntu CD's), or know of any way to resolve the problem
> (other than downloading the Fiesty CD and starting from there)

sorry for the bad news, but Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy PowerPC needs a lot of
work! You can go back to Fiesty and not upgrade until things get
fixed, or you can apply any of the workarounds to make Gutsy work on
your system.  See the numerous threads in the PowerPC forum
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=133