Fwd: Re: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail?

Ed Miller miller07 at suddenlink.net
Mon Oct 29 05:05:22 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 21:02 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- Ed Miller <miller07 at suddenlink.net> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 14:34 -0700, Leonard
> > Chatagnier wrote:

> > believe
> > edit
> > > >
> > > Ok, So where is root mail?  What elso must I do to
> > see
> > > it in mutt, the way it used to appear
> > automatically
> > > under Debian(please don't say go back to Debian)?
> > > There has been a gap between posting and reply on
> > this
> > > thread.  Did I miss something?
> > >
> > > Leonard Chatagnier
> > > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> > >
> > Leonard,
> > I had the same question when i first started mutt.
> > You, yourself at
> > whatever user name you are using might be receiving
> > roots mail in your
> > box. I believe you are automatically put in the
> > sudoers file. I was.
> > Check it out by sending root an email and open mutt
> > to see if it is
> > there.
> >
> Well Ed, I sent root at ubuntu an email via mutt. It went
> just like every other time I used mutt to send mail,
> no errors, but mutt didn't show it in the listing even
> after closing and reopening mutt.  I don't claim to
> know much about mutt usage and may have done it wrong.
> BTW, sudo mail shows no mail for root and $mail shows
> no mail for user but I have user mail in mutt from
> fetachyahoo and I'm just as confused as ever.
>
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Here is what I did to set it up, i installed mailx: sudo apt-get install
mailx
after installing mailx I installed mutt. I use mutt only when I am not
running evolution. I normally use evolution to check mail for my local
account as well as smtp mail. once mailx is installed I typed in mail
root. and type in the message. I open evolution to check mail and it
comes in my account as mailx has set me up as the root receiver.
Sorry I can't be of more help but that is about all I know about it.
If you do install mailx it will automatically remove any other mail
program for local, or at least it did for me. Exactly what is it that
you wish to accomplish with this project? That may shed more light on
it.

Ed