Problems with Apache2

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Oct 28 17:30:21 UTC 2007

bill purvis wrote:

> I've just installed Apache2 on my system. This is intended
> for use only locally as I develop and test web page material.
> Following the install, there appears to be 5 servers up and
> running:

Five is normal:

I change my development laptop /etc/apache2/apache2.conf to:
# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers          1
    MinSpareServers       1
    MaxSpareServers       3
    MaxClients           15
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

> Firefox eventually times out. I tried using telnet
> to communicate but again, no response.

No response means?  "Unable to connect..." means nothing's listening, but
doesn't seem like "no response" to me.  "Connected to localhost" would mean
the server's up - it doesn't send _anything_ except in response to an http
request, so you have to type "get /" to see something.

> I restarted apache2
> (/etc/init.d/apache2 restart) and notice an error message
> about being unable to determine the server name so I
> inserted:
>
> ServerName localhost:80
>
> into the apache2.conf (at the end), but still no joy.
> Anyone with any Apache experience? Any suggestions
> welcomed.

Actual error messages?  I have a ton of suggestions, but you're not giving
us anything to go on here.
--
derek