.deb package dependencies

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Oct 26 13:23:16 UTC 2007

John Dangler wrote:

> Just downloaded a .deb package which shows a dependency to
>>=libssl0.9.7e .  dpkg -i package.deb of course fails, mentioning this
> dependency.
> apt-cache search produces libssl0.9.8, saying that it is the latest
> version and is installed.  apt-get install suggests running apt-get -f
> install to meet this dependency, but on running that command, apt says
> it would like to remove the .deb package I previously ran with dpkg
> -i ...
>
> Seems I'm entering into a strange loop here...
>
> Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Generally, when apt wants to uninstall in that situation, it means it can't
find the dependency in your sources.  In this case, your .deb specifically
wants libssl0.9.7e, which isn't in Ubuntu, so you'd need to find it
(hopefully at the same place you got the .deb you already installed).  Note
also that it's not libssl version 0.9.x, it's two completely different
packages libssl0.9.7e and libssl0.9.8, so they're intended to both be able
to exist on the same machine.
--
derek