Problems with Hibernate

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Thu Oct 25 22:25:26 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mark Nichols wrote:
>
>> I am running in LVM, so my swap space is actually
>> /dev/mapper/lvmvolume-swap.  When I installed uswsusp I got an error
>> message
>> saying that a valid swap space could not be found.  Unless there is some
>> way to confiure uswsusp to use my LVM managed swap space, I don't think
>> this solution is going to work for me.
>
> While I am leery of suggesting uswsusp really solves any problems - afaict,
> any reasonably modern machine _can_ suspend with the kernel suspend, the
> simple solution would be to shrink your LVM and add a partition for swap.
> I cant see a value to putting swap inside an LVM.

oh - don't mistake my suggestion of a workaround as a solution to any
problem.  i'm not diagnosing why his other suspend/hibernate options
don't work, just pointing out how i got that feature to work for me.

that's on my modern hardware (2 machines with p4x3.2s and BIOSes which
definitely support ACPI 2.0).  on my old hardware suspend and hibernate
work fine.

so far that kind of thing seems to sum up my entire linux experience
pretty well.  :)

-d