Nothing plays DVDs in Ubuntu Gutsy?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Oct 24 02:38:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:59:13AM +0100, chombee wrote:

Well, can't be much help, but mplayer is working fine for me.

> Totem (gstreamer), when I insert a DVD:

$ DISPLAY=:0.0 totem
The program 'totem' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
  (Details: serial 42 error_code 8 request_code 141 minor_code 14)

> Mplayer gives this output: <http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/41868/> then it
> freezes for a long time before giving a *lot* of output that looks like
> this <http://paste.ubuntu-nl.org/41869/> These "CRC check failed!"
> messages along with "a52: error at resampling messages" seem to go on
> forever.

mplayer works fine for playing movies for me.

$ dpkg -l | grep dvd
ii  dvd+rw-tools                                7.0-7                                   DVD+-RW/R tools
ii  dvdrip                                      1:0.98.6-0.0ubuntu1                     perl front end for transcode
rc  gstreamer0.8-dvd                            0.8.12-6ubuntu3                         DVD plugin for GStreamer
ii  libdvdcss2                                  1.2.9-2medibuntu2+build1                Library for accessing DVDs like block device
ii  libdvdnav4                                  0.1.10-0.2                              The DVD navigation library
rc  libdvdplay0                                 1.0.1-7                                 portable abstraction library for DVD menus s
ii  libdvdread3                                 0.9.7-3ubuntu1                          library for reading DVDs
ii  lsdvd                                       0.16-3                                  read the content info of a DVD

$ dpkg -l | grep mplayer
ii  kmplayer-base                               0.9.4a-0ubuntu2                         Base files for KMPlayer
ii  kmplayer-konq-plugins                       0.9.4a-0ubuntu2                         KMPlayer plugin for KHTML/Konqueror
ii  mozilla-mplayer                             3.40-5ubuntu5                           MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla
ii  mplayer                                     2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu13                     The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux
ii  mplayer-586                                 2:0.99+1.0pre7try2+cvs20060117-0ubuntu8 The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux (dummy p
ii  mplayer-doc                                 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu13                     The Ultimate Movie Player For Linux (Documen
ii  mplayer-fonts                               3.5-2                                   Fonts for mplayer
ii  mplayer-skin-blue                           1.6-1                                   blue skin for mplayer
ii  mplayer-skins                               2-7                                     Skins for the Ubuntu mplayer Package

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org