Compiz on 7.10 with ATI X1600

ulrich good945 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:18:23 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Mischa Simon <MSLK at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a prob with compiz on my laptop (ASUS A7J).
> When I try to activate the visual effects all open windows disappear
> shortly then they appear again and ubuntu is working for a short time
> and then I get the message visual effects could not be enabled.
>
> No entry in the logs happen...
>
> Plz help me.
>
> Mischa
>
> My xorg.conf:
[snip]

> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Standardgrafikkarte"
>         Driver          "fglrx"
>         BusID           "PCI:6:0:0"
>         Option          "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
>         Option          "Composite"     "Enable"
>
> EndSection

there you go.
the current proprietary fglrx driver doesn't support AIGLX
(Composite), so you can't enable desktop effects. AMD/ATI said they
will release a new driver this month (fglrx 8.42) which will support
AIGLX. so you'll have to wait until the release of 8.42.
to install new ATI/NVidia drivers which are not in the repositories
check out http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

hope this helps.