VMware Server on Gutsy ?

John French cjf at tow.org.uk
Sun Oct 21 10:04:50 UTC 2007

I have been trying to move off M$ to Ubuntu for quite a while, but have
been hung up by a must-have financial application for which there is no
Linux version. All my efforts to use Wine ran into the sand, but finally
I had the sense to try VMware Server on Feisty. And all was wonderful.

So I was going through the process of moving, or replacing, all my
applications, and was 98% finished, when Gutsy day came along.
Obviously, it made sense to upgrade, and set up my new system on the
latest base. Disaster!  VMware refused to start Windows 2000 - something
like "a virtual machine power status problem". Since I couldn't get
around this, I tried reinstalling W2K, but it recreated the old system,
with the old error. So I decided to reinstall VMware Server. Uninstalled
fine, but no way to reinstall. VMware server has disappeared from
Add/Remove, and Synaptic.

I had a look at the VMware site, and VMware Server is alive and well, so
why has Ubuntu dropped it?  I'll bet they have a reason. So what do I
do? Install it myself from a VMware download? Go back to Feisty? Use a
different approach? Advice, please.

John French