Gutsy upgrade borked

Justin Gruenberg justin.gruenberg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 04:05:47 UTC 2007

On 10/20/07, NoOp <glgxg at mfire.com> wrote:
> That's pretty silly statement isn't it? Have them drag the desktop home
> so dad can upgrade their computer. I maintain over 200 computers
> remotely worldwide (primarily Windows) and figure that I should have
> confidence in upgrading my kid's computer remotely as well. Given that
> statement, and the fact that I work with Ubuntu daily, have 4 local test
> systems, and generally support Ubutuntu, and contribute to this list as
> I can, I think that when I say that I'd hesitate to update my kid's
> Feisty remotely - make that '*wouldn't update my kid's Feisty
> remotely*', you can pretty well bet that I have little confidence in
> attempting to do so.

I assumed it was a laptop.  My bad.

I'm new to Ubuntu, but have used FreeBSD[*] on the desktop.  What I
don't understand is why the repositories haven't been updated to
include the latest OO.o and other packages.  FreeBSD has the excellent
ports collection, and it seems as if those were always updated in
ports as new versions were released.

*  I figure that you can have something thats dead simple to setup or
you just do it yourself.   When things are shiny-easy and they screw
up, it always seems like it's more work than if you just did it
yourself from the beginning.  Ubuntu seems to get things right the
first time more than not.

On 10/20/07, Alex Janssen <alex at ourwoods.org> wrote:
> Justin's right.  I'm holding back until I start hearing better news.
>
> Medibuntu is not up-to-date yet.  That's torquing some people's brains
> today.
>
> Right now, everything's working on 7.04, and I'm leaving it that way for
> the time being.

I upgraded my laptop to Gutsy yesterday, and everything worked as
expected.  I guess your mileage may vary.