Installing KDE and Removing Ubuntu (Don't want Kubuntu)

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Sat Oct 20 17:45:42 UTC 2007

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:32:28 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:18:53 -0300
> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Justin wrote:
>>
>> > There's quite a big difference between default KDE and Kubuntu Bruce.
>> > Kubuntu has lots of alterations, extras, and omissions.
>>
>> Like?  You're not helping by making such sweeping statements and giving
>> no examples.  I've been using KDE since KDE 1.x, and used KDE3 before I
>> used Ubuntu, and I still can't see the difference.
>
> I haven't done this for a while, but I remember when I had
> kubuntu-desktop installed, "aptitude install kde" still wanted to
> install about 100MB or so of extra stuff.

That's because kubuntu-desktop is designed to only pull in a certain
portion of the the kde packages. It doesn't pull every package that is
part of an "official" release of KDE; just the ones that the distro-team
decided would provide a standard install of KDE and could be fit on the
live-cd. The kde metapackage you installed grabs alot of the rest of the
official KDE packages out of main, plus alot of third-party kde apps and
their dependencies out of universe. Its the same situation with the gnome
metapackage and ubuntu-desktop.

In addition, since you used aptitude for installation, any recommended
packages got installed as well, unless you disabled that default first.
Those recommends can sometimes drive up your package count considerably.

> It would be interesting to compare, for example, Slackware's KDE with
> kubuntu-desktop. As I understand it, Slackware prides itself on sticking
> closely to upstream versions of everything. I suspect that there is
> indeed a difference, and that the full KDE has more.
>
> Of course, it's not difficult to install the extra bits if you want
> them.

Well like I said, kubuntu-desktop depends on a limited set of KDE
packages. The other dependencies are a set of packages like shared
libraries, backends, helper apps, openoffice, etc. Comparing what
kubuntu-desktop provides against Slackware's list wouldn't be that
helpful. Comparing a list of KDE packages in Ubuntu's main repository with
Slackware's KDE list would probably give a better idea of what the
differences are.

--
sktsee