Installing KDE and Removing Ubuntu (Don't want Kubuntu)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 20 07:32:28 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:18:53 -0300
Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Justin wrote:
>
> > There's quite a big difference between default KDE and Kubuntu Bruce.
> > Kubuntu has lots of alterations, extras, and omissions.
>
> Like?  You're not helping by making such sweeping statements and giving no
> examples.  I've been using KDE since KDE 1.x, and used KDE3 before I used
> Ubuntu, and I still can't see the difference.

I haven't done this for a while, but I remember when I had kubuntu-desktop
installed, "aptitude install kde" still wanted to install about 100MB or
so of extra stuff.

It would be interesting to compare, for example, Slackware's KDE with
kubuntu-desktop. As I understand it, Slackware prides itself on sticking
closely to upstream versions of everything. I suspect that there is indeed
a difference, and that the full KDE has more.

Of course, it's not difficult to install the extra bits if you want them.

--
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>