Gutsy using only one CPU on dual core? [SOLVED]

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Sat Oct 20 17:41:59 UTC 2007

Marius,

Thank you for responding.
> That's not quite right, you should use the -generic kernel instead of
> -386.  Install linux-generic and reboot.
As it turns out, I had *both* -386 and -generic installed, and GRUB was
booting into -386.

So I used Synaptic to remove -386, and then rebooted, and now I'm
happily in the -generic version. I can see in the System Monitor that I
have a line each for CPU1 and CPU2 in my CPU usage graph.

Thank you for the tip! The computer is noticeably faster now.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy