7.10 effects (Intel)

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Oct 19 15:12:27 UTC 2007

On 2007/10/19 10:20 (GMT-0400) Bart Silverstrim apparently typed:

> I know it's only been a day, but has anyone else been having issues with
> 7.10 and desktop effects?  When I try to enable the setting beyond
> "none" in visual effects (in "appearance" panel), I seem to lose my
> windows manager; no borders, title bars, etc. appear around the windows.

> Chipset is an Intel Corporation 82845G/GL(Brookdale-G)/GE Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Device

> System was upgraded from 7.04 to 7.10.

I did a fresh install on a system with that very chipset, one that never had
any *ubuntu before, using Kubuntu. The problems you describe to not happen to
me. I have others though, as Intel video chipsets have several problems in
current and recent Xorg versions and related video drivers. Until the
Xorg/Intel problems are cleaned up, those of us using Intel are probably
better off using Linux distros released prior to summer of 2007.
--
"The basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings
we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409