Ubuntu DVD?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Oct 18 17:41:55 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I noticed that torrent.ubuntu.com has an Ubuntu DVD. How does it
> differ from the CD? Thanks in advance.

I'm paraphrasing from memory, so apologies for factual errors.

The DVD version should have both install options on one disc (ie, normal
GUI install or Alt-Install, which is the text based debian installer
used for lower specs machines or more advanced specialized install
options).  Also, the DVD should have more packages on the disc, which
means, those packages can been installed later without connection to the
Internet repositories.  (For reference, downloading *all* ubuntu
packages, including the Universe/Multiverse repos, takes 3 dvd's)

Either way, the actual initial installation of Ubuntu on your computer
should be identical, regardless of whether you used a CD or DVD install.