Error fatale

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 18 13:28:08 UTC 2007

--- Ashley Benton <meggalen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, as I said I tried to install the new card by
> myself. It wasn't a nvidia
> card but ati so I went on the Ubuntu site and did
> what was written to
> install the ubuntu drive. It was not a good idea,
> now I lost the screen. I
> took the card off and am trying to fix it but I am
> going nowhere, can
> somebody explain me how I can delete xorg.conf and
> reinstall the backup
> files instead like that I would be able to have my
> screen back. Right now I
> am using the integrated plug from the motherboard
> for the screen, all the
> video cards are out off the computer.
> Thank you
> Megan
> > --

Hello Megan,
No expert here, but you can revert back to the default
xorg.conf when you first installed the OS by issuing
this command on the CLI:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

(note: this command is shown at the bottom of first
few comments on the xorg.conf file to revert back to
automatic updating after you have modified the conf
file from the default setup.)

Alternately, cd to /etc/X11 and run ls on the
directory.  You will see some files, if you have
changed or used more than the original xorg.conf
setup, such as looks like this:

xorg.conf.20070905090008

I have five such files in my dir each with different
dates coded on them.  Pick one that you want to try
and just copy it to xorg.conf.

"sudo cp xorg.conf.20070905090008 xorg.conf" or you
could use the mv command but that would remove the
moved file so you would want to backup that file.
The first command is best for the first try but if
that doesn't work then try each of the backup files
with the date code.

HTH,
Len

Leonard Chatagnier