School Project; please read

Dick Dowdell dick.dowdell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 02:22:33 UTC 2007

Brian,

Virtualization is the only safe way to run Linux on an unpartitioned Window
disk.  It also saves the problems that dual booting Windows and Linux can
create for your students.  It's so easy that you could set it up in an
afternoon.  Further, snapshots give students a safe and easy way to undo a
screwed up admin assignment.

Contact me directly,
Dick Dowdell

On 10/16/07, Brian Fahrlander <brian at fahrlander.net> wrote:

> Dick Dowdell wrote:
>
> > If you are interested in this approach, I can give you detailed,
> > step-by-step, instructions.  For years, I've been using this approach
> for
> > testing Linux software on Linux and Windows hosts because you cannot
> screw
> > up the host from inside a virtual machine and you can take snapshots of
> > virtual machines and restore them to their pre-test state if there are
> > problems.  A Ubuntu virtual machine can have full network access and can
> > apply any standard Ubuntu updates as needed.
>
>     Yeah, I really like the idea...and if there weren't just two weeks
> to  spring something to life, I might go that way (like, if it isn't
> picked up this semester).
>
>     In the big picture, having Linux clients that run Windows in a
> virtual window really makes a lot of sense; I love how VMWare can 'jail'
> an instance of Windows and use the persistant disk to...immunize...the
> contents of the guest OS.  :)
>
>     It's also a way to serve BeOS and Mac (or whatever) environments to
> people on a casual basis; perfect for schools.

Regards,
Dick Dowdell
508-498-7919/508-528-4018