A Gutsy upgrade story

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 17 01:26:17 UTC 2007

David Vincent wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>>> Editing /etc/default/acpi-support and
>>> commenting out the LOCK_SCREEN=true line fixed this problem on the Dell
>>> but not the IBM - weird.
>>
>> Perhaps that's actually configured in the power manager on the IBM.
>
> Thanks for asking but sadly this is not the case.  This is definitely an
> xscreensaver type password prompt.

Yes, but the kde-guidance-powermanager has configuration options to invoke
the (KDE) screensaver/lock when suspending or when closing the lid.
Essentially the same thing as the option you found in ACPI.  I would expect
other power managers can do the same.

>>> Also as long as I use the power management software to suspend/hibernate
>>> I'm ok, but if I use my Dell's Suspend button the machine locks and
>>> requires me to remove the batteries to get it back - this worked under
>>> Feisty.  :)
>>
>> I always just edit /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn to
>> invoke /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh instead of whatever it is by default...
>
> I usually configure my OSes to ask me what to do when the power button
> is pressed and I disconnect the reset button.  That's kept the 2yr old
> from destroying lots of work.  :)
>
> I didn't mention that the Dell doesn't support ACPI, it uses APM so
> Ubuntu isn't able to power it off when it shuts down or hibernates etc.

Ah yes.  About half of the Inspirons of that period had ACPI (and NONE of
them had a bug-free ACPI!).

--
derek