A Gutsy upgrade story

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Wed Oct 17 00:30:34 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:

>> Editing /etc/default/acpi-support and
>> commenting out the LOCK_SCREEN=true line fixed this problem on the Dell
>> but not the IBM - weird.
>
> Perhaps that's actually configured in the power manager on the IBM.

Thanks for asking but sadly this is not the case.  This is definitely an
xscreensaver type password prompt.

>> Also as long as I use the power management software to suspend/hibernate
>> I'm ok, but if I use my Dell's Suspend button the machine locks and
>> requires me to remove the batteries to get it back - this worked under
>> Feisty.  :)
>
> I always just edit /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn to
> invoke /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh instead of whatever it is by default...

I usually configure my OSes to ask me what to do when the power button
is pressed and I disconnect the reset button.  That's kept the 2yr old
from destroying lots of work.  :)

I didn't mention that the Dell doesn't support ACPI, it uses APM so
Ubuntu isn't able to power it off when it shuts down or hibernates etc.
    Ubuntu doesn't recognize the power button so there's no option to
have it perform any action when it is pressed.  There's no BIOS option
either, its simply hold the button for two seconds and power goes out.
In the BIOS I can config the suspend mode of the laptop to either
suspend-to-disk (which would require me to dig up old windows 98
software and dell drivers which I don't have to create the Dell
hibernate partition on the drive..ugh) or suspend-to-ram which is how I
have always had it and how it has always worked.  Suspend has worked
this way with Windows XP, Dapper, Edgy, and Feisty on this laptop.

>> Also NetworkManager now comes in Xubuntu but still has the same problem
>> for me as it has since Edgy.  I can connect to a WPA network.  I can
>> connect to a non-encrypted network.  I CANNOT connect to a WEP network.
>
> Does the WEP network broadcast an SSID?  I haven't followed the NM list for
> a while, but for a long time it had problems connecting to networks without
> a broadcast SSID.

Thanks for asking.  Yes, it does broadcast the SSID.  My only other clue
to test is configuring the WEP key to be not key #1.  I read that in a
forum somewhere and thats in my browser history on another machine so I
can't provide the link right now.  If someone else is having this
problem I can dig it up.

Cheers!

-d