Dell Inspiron 1200 Ubuntu 7.10 Fan not working

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 18:42:31 UTC 2007

NoOp said the following on 10/16/2007 01:19 PM:
> On 10/15/2007 04:10 AM, Tim M wrote:
>
>> P.S. Under 7.04 I was finally able to get a little program to get the fan
>> working but set on automatic it ran all the time flat out. When I have the
>> hard drive with XP installed in the laptop the fan is seldom on. Of course
>> with XP I have no idea what the cpu temperature is.

My laptop also got real hot after I installed gutsy.  I couldn't figure
out why, but finally got gkrellm running and noticed the cpu running
near 100% all the time.  Turns out the new desktop search feature
"tracker" was the culprit.  Once I turned it off by menu System >
Preferences > Indexing Preferences, my cpu dropped to low and the
temperature came back to normal.  So, maybe you should check this if
you're afraid to run gutsy to troubleshoot the problem.

HTH