SATA drives showing on PATA boot screen

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 14 22:24:27 UTC 2007

On my Kubuntu computer with an Intel 945P Neo3 motherboard
my SATA drives show up on the boot screen as Primary Master, Pri Slave,
Secondary Master and Sec Slave.

Is it normal for PATA drives to show up on the boot screen with such a
designation?

I spent some time identifying which SATA plug was SDA1, SDA2, SDB1 and
SDB2.  Should I have bothered?

Do the listed designations have anything at all to do with how they
should be used?  For example, in a system with high traffic between two
drives you would probably want to assign different Primary IDE channels
to the two drives and put the CD-ROM on the least used Secondary channel.

IOW, is it ok to just plug in the SATA devices into any unused channel?

I've already seen how the BIOS controlls the boot drive sequence.

One other question.  How can I boot up SATA drives with an additional
old PATA drive in the system?  The PATA seems to 'take over' and the
system tries to boot with that and ignore the boot order?

Larry

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux