Clamav out of date

Albert Charron albert at albertcharron.name
Fri Oct 12 15:55:35 UTC 2007

Harold Hartley wrote:

> I'm glad you pointed this out to me as I have a dell latitude d800 that
> came with windows XP and can't stand the screw ups when I try doing
> stuff on it. I want to put linux on it, but will it work fine when I
> need to swap my dvd/cd combo with a hard drive without having to restart
> the computer to read it... Has linux developed enough to do this.
> I've seen major improvements since I've started in 1997 with linux.

Currently running Feisty Fawn on my Dell C600 laptop. Just out of
curiosity, I tried to remove my cd-rom drive (which is also hot
swappable under Windows), but the machine almost froze, with a lot of
error related to IDE in /var/log/message. Even if I replaced the drive,
I had to reboot the machine to stop the errors... So I might thing that
the hot swappable feature of the drive won't be usefull on your laptop
either :(

Maybe someone more skilled with hotswappable hardware will have another
answer, and I'd like to know how to make it work (if it's possible)...
Not that I have some usage of the hotswappable drive for now, but maybe
someday I'll use a second battery or a second harddrive too :)

  Albert Charron
  Linux Counter member #157482
  Registered computers: 195048, 361906