dvdrip

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Oct 12 06:02:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:12 -0400, jack wrote:
> I got a set of files from a friend of mine today; he said it was in
> _dvdrip_ format.  It amounts to a folder full of .IFO, .VOB, and .BUP
> files.

That's just a straight one-to-one copy of the files on the DVD, not a
"rip" as it is usually understood (i.e., encoded). You can simply play
the VOB files with a video player.

If you want to encode, the dvdrip package is ok, but needlessly complex.
Use Acidrip or Thoggen, instead. Thoggen is especially simple, but it
can only encode into Ogg Theora (which is fine as such, though). At
least with Thoggen, simply open the folder with the file set you have,
and Thoggen will offer to encode it.