Totem DVD player

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Oct 11 21:04:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:37 +0000, Gerardo Ballesteros wrote:
> Well. I have read the details about the thread thing... but in the hotmail account there is not a
> choice for replying to list instead replying to everyone.

thanks for considering my link. I am not familiar with Hotmail and so I
don't know about your replying options.
However, when you want to open a new topic, you should just email to
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com instead of replying to an email that was
sent to the list.

> I did navigate to the web pages that introduce linux programs for playing DVD's.
>
> I did download some "termination" to the Totem DVD producer program.

Could you explain what you mean with "termination"?

>  Inmediatly I introduced a DVD movie (Chinese.. from Jean Luc Godard)... but the system cannot execute or run the movie and answer me this (it is in spanish):
>
> No hay un manejador de URI implementado para «dvd»
>
> I have no idea about what is an URI driver...
> I just want to see a movie... perhaps I have to download a complete program, instead of downloading
> "terminations".

Again, I do not understand what you mean with "downloading
terminations". I also cannot find this word on the help page I linked
to, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

As explained on the page, you need to enable the Medibuntu repository
and install the package "libdvdcss2".

However, the other method that I pointed you to, via Ubuntu's Help in
the System menu (I don't know its name in Spanish), is actually easier.

Though even after that, Totem will not be the best available DVD player,
because it has no DVD menu support. Xine, VLC, and Ogle are
better-suited to watch commercial DVDs. Their installation is also
explained on the help page I linked.

> I bearly understand the normative questions about the DVD licenses.. but it is a good issue to
> get into.

It certainly is, especially for one of the "good" lawyers. May I
introduce you to one of your colleages ;)
http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/