Totem DVD player

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Oct 11 19:15:38 UTC 2007

Gerardo Ballesteros wrote:
> Hello community.
>
> Here is Gerardo Ballesteros.
>
> I have to tell you that i'm writing under two difficulties.. lawyer & hispanic... so, not very accesible
> to language, pragmatic utterances or technical lexicon...
>
> Well, I installed an Ubuntu ambient to my computer.. an ACER Extensa 2603LMi.
>
> But some things are not working, as the Totem DVD player.
>
> Iwould like to know if I can actualize my Ubuntu ambient, to enable certain important programs, such as
> the DVD player, 'cause I cant run movies in my machine..
>
> Thank you, community, por deciphering needs from an ignorant's scope...

     It's hard to learn English; I won't deny.  And you've done a good
job, but I'm curious about "ambient".

     But if you have certain kinds of media you can't play, it's
probably the format of the media you're trying. (Like, playing DVDs
requires special actions, legally; you have to get them from overseas.)

     See "RestrictedFormats" on the "Community Supported" link that
comes up as your start-page in Firefox.  Let me look for it...

     Yeah, here it is:   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

     Follow the procedure there, and all will be fine. (Unless your DVD
is broken, or something else I can't tell from here...)

     Good luck!
  Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
  Evansville, IN                              http://Fahrlander.net/brian
  ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller