Totem DVD player

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Oct 11 19:27:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 19:07 +0000, Gerardo Ballesteros wrote:
> Hello community.
>
> Here is Gerardo Ballesteros.

Welcome! Please allow me to point you to this page, and especially the
section I linked to:

It will explain how to use this list to the benefit of everyone, please
note the explanation of "threading".

> I have to tell you that i'm writing under two difficulties.. lawyer & hispanic... so, not very accesible
> to language, pragmatic utterances or technical lexicon...

Hispanics are never a problem. Regarding lawyers ... it depends on how
they behave ;-)

> Well, I installed an Ubuntu ambient to my computer.. an ACER Extensa 2603LMi.

What exactly do you mean with Ubuntu "ambient"?

> But some things are not working, as the Totem DVD player.
>
> Iwould like to know if I can actualize my Ubuntu ambient, to enable certain important programs, such as
> the DVD player, 'cause I cant run movies in my machine..

Some formats are legally restricted in some countries. For example, the
movie industry wants an additional license fee from you if you want to
watch the DVDs you've bought. This fee is included in the price of
stand-alone DVD players, and in the price of many commercially-sold PCs
(such as Dell, etc.), which therefore can include a DVD playing
software. (Pure Windows directly bought from Microsoft cannot play DVDs
either, at least this was true until Windows XP, I don't know about
Vista).

You can however install the requisite library. The legality of doing so
depends on your country, but so far the movie industry refrained from
harassing its customers.

For instructions how to enable the playing of commercial DVDs, go to
System -> Help in the taskbar at the top of your Desktop. Search for
"DVD".

Detailed instructions on how to enable various formats, including an
alternative one for DVDs, can be found here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Note that if you are using Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty), then there are just a
few things you have to do manually, including DVD playback.