CDrom order for 7.04 server

Wakko Warner wakko at animx.eu.org
Mon Oct 8 01:15:02 UTC 2007

I'd just like to let you know that the order that the CDroms are detected
are different between booting from CD and installing and booting from the
hard drive.

My setup has 11 cdrom devices as follows:
AIC79xx (u320) scsi:
	CH B id 13: dvd burner
IDE
	PRI Master: dvdrom
	SEC Master: cdrom
AIC7xxx (Ultra 40/20):
	CH A id 2: cdrom
	CH A id 4: 5 disc cd changer (5 seperate devices)
	CH A id 5: cd burner

On installation, I booted from the dvd burner.  The installer found this as
scd7 (I assume that the IDE devices were either probed last or didn't use
libata).  When the system booted from the HDD, the dvd burner was scd9.
scd0 in this case was the dvdrom on IDE PRI master, scd2 was the cdrom on
the AIC7xxx card.

I'd say this is a bug.  The only reason I installed this is 1) This was the
disc I had and 2) I wanted to test a motherboard before placing it into my
primary machine.  I don't know ubuntu's bug reporting or anything.  All my
systems use debian and hand configured, but I just thought I'd play with the
ubuntu a bit.  I don't suppose that many people install unbuntu on a system
that has multiple CD devices like I have on different controllers.

By the way, I'm not on the list.

 Got Gas???