Clamav out of date

Andrew Glen-Young aglenyoung at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 16:41:10 UTC 2007

On 10/10/2007, David Koski <david at kosmosisland.com> wrote:

> Trivial X (times) the number machines X number of packages X number of updates
> is not so trivial.  It is also easier to overlook available updates when done
> manually and dependency issues are more frequent for tarball installs, etc.,
> etc.

Absolutely! I'm not trying to dispute that. These sorts of headaches
can be alleviated, or at least reduced, by using automated tools like
Cfengine, Puppet, etc.

My point was that I wouldn't want to run Debian as my mail servers and
Ubuntu as my database and web servers *just* because clamav (a package
with a minimal number of dependancies) was not being kept up to date.

I suppose I was being defensive because I thought the statement that
Ubuntu should not be used as a mail server was perhaps a bit strong
and too general. But opinions differ...

- A.