Clamav out of date

David Koski david at kosmosisland.com
Wed Oct 10 16:15:27 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 08:39, Andrew Glen-Young wrote:
> On 10/10/2007, Brian Fahrlander <brian at fahrlander.net> wrote:
> > > For this reason I am sorry I installed Ubuntu instead of Debian and
> > > would not recommend Ubuntu for mail servers.  The Debian volatile
> > > repository is not compatible with Ubuntu/clamav due to dependency
> > > issues.
> >
> >      Yeah, I have several of these units in the field; I cringe when the
> > clients see it, so far behind. (Epecially when the one Fedora box I have
> > left....FC4, fer cryin' out loud, is more up to date.)
>
> It seems to me to be a little extreme to dump a distro because one
> package is not up to date. Compiling 'clamav' yourself or even rolling
> your own package is pretty trivial.

Trivial X (times) the number machines X number of packages X number of updates
is not so trivial.  It is also easier to overlook available updates when done
manually and dependency issues are more frequent for tarball installs, etc.,
etc.

This is all avoided with Debian for mail servers simply because the volatile
repository is kept up to date.

Regards,
David Koski
david at kosmosisland.com