pdftops

jack jdangler at terremark.com
Tue Oct 9 12:21:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 23:50 -0400, Jonathan Hirschman wrote:
> jack wrote:
> > I've been looking for this info and can't seem to find it...
> > pdftops <pdffile> yields
> > Error: Couldn't find the 'Adobe.APS' security handler
> > Is there a d/l source for this?
> >
> There is nothing that you can download that will help :(
>
> The "APS" means Adobe Policy Server. In short, the PDF that you're
> trying to process is a protected/locked document, and ghostscript
> can't
> find the server that the document is controlled by. It is possible
> that
> the document is only usable on a particular LAN.
>
> What happens when you try to open it in Acrobat?
>
> jh

I don't have acrobat installed.  I have kpdf and kghost.  kpdf throws up
a dialog that says "enter the password", but I don't know what that
password is.  These are ebook files from a class I'm taking online.
I've been having a running history of tech support problems with the
school, because they _dont support anything but M$_ ...  I wasnt aware
that Adobe had a recent version of Acrobat reader for Linux.  I can
check their site to see if its available; maybe that will help.