my dell d820 runs HOT! cooling/powersaving tips?

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Mon Oct 1 00:17:03 UTC 2007

On Thursday 27 September 2007 16:30:07 Matt Price wrote:
<snip>
> as much as two hours, compared, say, to my girlfriend's 8+ on her new thinkpad x61.
Lucky isnt she?

> So, i'd like to reduce my power consumption and also make sure
> everything's running at a safe temperature.  can people suggest tools
> and tips to do that?  it'd be especially great if there were something i
> could do about the graphics chip, which is an nvidia GeForce Go 7400.
> I'd also appreciate help powering down the other parts of the computer,
> which include a core duo processor, an intel 3945abg wireless card, and
> various other bits.  I've got powertop installed and am taking all the
> steps it suggests for reducing wakeups, but it's hard to get it down
> very far.  here's the current powertop output:
>
> Wakeups-from-idle per second : 3214.7   interval: 10.0s
> note the total wakeups number -- over 3000!

I was going to recomend powertop, but u already done that. are u running it with sudo?

3000 is way to much... u must have something running there that shouldnt be.

Wakeups-from-idle per second : 1091.5   interval: 2.0s
I'm at 1100 and thats all because of google desktop search. Now that we have trackerd on gutsy it might be a good time for me to quit with GDS.

The only tip that I can you supply with is to add the applet "CPU Frequency Scalling Monitor" and do a sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets, so u can change the CPU speed from the applet.
I keep mine at 600Hz when I dont need more power.
When in regular use, I set it to "Conservative"

--
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-ยดยด)	http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net