why an SQL Database?

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Nov 26 12:47:09 UTC 2007

Joris Dobbelsteen spake thusly:

> In fact, many e-mail readers also support caching of the IMAP data and
> synchronize this nicely when you connect. A very popular e-mail reader
> that does this is Thunderbird. I guess it works for most popular
> mailreaders too.
> The disadvantage is that you might have to press a few extra buttons to
> enable this functionality and it takes a bit of disk space.

Disk space is not a problem, but I've not figured out how to cache
locally. Well in fact I thought I was caching locally but that's
apparently only true for any message that is individually read or
downloaded due to a filter.

> Obviously you are still bound to your Internet service provider's limit
> for the amount of e-mail you can store. (Personally I run my own mail
> server and domain, so for me the problem is limited to the disk space I
> have available).

Speaking of that, I didn't know Microsoft Exchange ran on Linux. ;)

I have my own domain and use a hosting provider for my email and
webspace.  I've got unlimited space so that's not an issue.

I'll have to play around with Thunderbird some more.

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com