problems saving in openoffice

Janne Jokitalo astraljava at kapsi.fi
Sun Nov 25 18:29:20 UTC 2007

Tim M wrote:
> Shawn, the permission was the problem. I had problems we the cpu being
> hogged. I never could stop it running greater than 50% all of the
> time. So I transferred the directory to my little server and reinstall
> Ubuntu. Of course I used a different name so therefore the lack of
> permission. I assume I can go to the terminal and type sudo nautilus
> and change the permission. Or be brave and try to do it from a command
> line. I don't feel brave today.

It's not really that difficult. Open up a terminal, and type (after the
prompt, which the dollar sign is indicating):

$ sudo chown -R user:user Documents/

That'll recursively change the user and group to your username, which you
replace obviously in the command. The colon there separates user from the
group. -R switch means recursive, so it'll enter all subdirectories too if
there are any.

For the record, here's how it looks on mine:

jaska at bowmore:~$ whoami
jaska
jaska at bowmore:~$ ls -l | grep Documents
drwxr-xr-x  3 jaska jaska    4096 2007-10-31 19:47 Documents

--
Jaska