Internet access via Palm

Richard Mancusi vrman49 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 02:06:34 UTC 2007

On Nov 24, 2007 7:54 PM, Richard Mancusi <vrman49 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I want to access internet in my Palm using my notebook's internet
> > connection.
> >
> > My Palm is being recognized in usb:. I can sync perfectly with JPilot.
> >
> > I think I should enable a pppd daemon but don't know to do this and get
> > it working.
> >
> > Can somebody help me?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > --
> > ___________________________________
> > Lisandro Weissheimer
> > (51) 8414-7715
> > lisandro at weissheimer.eti.br
> > http://www.weissheimer.eti.br
> > MSN: lisandro at weissheimer.eti.br
> > ___________________________________
>
> I didn't know the answer to your question so I forwarded your
> email to someone I thought would.  His reply follows:
>
> ----------
> I hadn't done this in years.  I just tried it and it works.
>
> He doesn't say what Palm he has.  The Treo's network connection is a
> little different.
>
> On the Palm in Prefs->Network create a new service and call it Unix.
> The connection should be cradle/cable.  The user name is the name of a
> login on the PC.  The password is the password.  Under advanced the
> script should be blank.
>
> On the Palm try to connect in Prefs->Network to get /dev/ttyUSB1
> created.  Then on the PC do:
>
> On the PC I had to do a "modprobe visor" since Ubuntu uses libusb now.
> Type "pppd /dev/ttyUSB1 19200 {your machine name, or IP}:{An IP to
> assign to the Palm} local persist passive silent proxyarp noauth
>
> i.e. pppd /dev/ttyUSB1 19200 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.5 local persist
> passive silent proxyarp noauth
> ----------
>
> hth
> -rich

I think I got his interest.  He just replied with this additional info:

I first tried hitting my internal web server which worked fine.  I'm
having trouble getting out of the network from the Palm.  Its probably
my firewall.

If you leave the noauth off of the pppd you can run it as a user and not
with sudo, or root.  The older Palms didn't have a place for a password,
so I had that in my old script.  Also, the 19200 is not needed for USB.