Linux Wish List ( Email Client )

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Nov 23 22:38:09 UTC 2007

Richard wrote:

> Well, after using (K)ubuntu's for about 3 years, I can say, coming from
> Mac and Windows, there are some gaps in Linux apps that need to be filled:
>
> Email Clients: Linux's does have some good email clients,
> However...they are not fully intergrated, into the OS, as "Outlook",
> Secondly, there are allot on-line services plug-ins, for "Outlook", like
> Plaxo which is "Great" for keeping your contacts up-to date. ( plus ) you
> see other plaxo member's, in your emails, that you may or maynot have as a
> contact.

KMail is fully integrated into the _OS_.  It just doesn't have all those
plugins...  But as for Plaxo - https://launchpad.net/klaxon/  I have no
idea how good it is, but it's advanced far enough to have a bug database.

> However..."Outlook" suffers from the single file database or .pst files,
> which can easily become corrupted, compare to KMail, which keeps messages,
> in maildir or mbox format,

mbox format is no improvement... :-)

> its a better solution (But Sql Backend would be better),

I disagree, but Linux has that.  There's at least one IMAP implementation
that uses a SQL backend.  There'd be zero point to putting that into the
mail client.

> plus Kmail has has better filtering than Outlook, but not as
> good, compare to Eudora ( which can use multiply statements ) "if or and
> "..etc, on a single filter. ( one time, I used 9 statements on a single
> filter )

omigod!  I can't do that???  I _do_ do that.  However, in KMail you're
restricted to a mere 8 conditions and 8 actions per filter, so I guess
Eudora wins :-)

> Koffice, is coming around, but due to KDE 4, there still not there yet,
> as a unified Office product

I thought Koffice still sucked.  Maybe I'll check again.

> Again, keep in mind, unified application's "That" are keeping up with the
> technologies of today, like: ajax ,flash web 2.0, ".net"..etc
> intergrated into Linux, that would get more people's attention, instead of
> eye candy.

See, you're making the same mistake somebody made last week when they asked
why KMail didn't do spam filtering.  _Why_ should the applications
be "unified"?  They should be _cooperative_.  What you're asking for, KMail
can already do - at least to some extent, but storage solutions don't
belong in the client.  So install a Postgres backed IMAP server, and that
part is dealt with.  KMail uses various plugins - and klaxon is at least in
development.  Already, I can sync Kontact with my yahoo calendar and
contacts, and partly with my google calendar and contacts.  Some use it
with Exchange (not me, unfortunately - damned corporate IT won't enable
that).

btw, Ajax (at least) is _very_ far from a "unified" solution (and ime is
_mostly_ about eye candy).
--
derek