7.04: X11 remote display problem

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Fri Nov 23 13:54:43 UTC 2007

bill purvis wrote:
> I'm still having no joy with getting anything to open a remote X11
> window on my laptop since I changed to Ubuntu from Mandrake.
>
> I'm using ssh to log in to my server (and yes I've tried using ssh -X
> but that makes no difference). Once I'm logged in I try to start an
> emacs window on the laptop:
>
> server$ echo $DISPLAY
> felix:0.0

Something in your profile sets $DISPLAY; this is *not* the DISPLAY
tunnel from ssh. ssh starts to use displays 10 and following on the
local host; i.e., $DISPLAY should be localhost:10.0 or similar.

With your current setting, your trying to really connect to your X
server on felix, not via the ssh tunnel, but directly. (As you said
yourself in your original post -- I can't say how you can configure
the X wrapper, sorry.) You might want to remove that DISPLAY env
var setting and use the ssh X11 forwarding at first.

But, if you discover how one configures the X wrapper to allow
remote connections, make sure to post it, so others can find it in
the list archives.

Cheers,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod at acm.org