Gnome settings daemon fails to start once in a while

Jorge Tomé Hernando jtomeher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 12:47:18 UTC 2007

Hello all

2007/11/22, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>:

> Gutsy 7.10 i386 on ThinkPad T60
>
> Some times when I log in to Gnome, the fonts used for the desktop are
> wrong (too big) and a lot of settings are wrong too. There's a pop-up
> window saying that the Gnome settings daemon failed to start. See
> attached image.
>
> It says:
> ####################################
> There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.
> Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
> correctly.
> The last error message was:
> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-IKulmccHNE: Connection refused
> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
> ####################################
>
> I would say it fails once every 5 logins or so.

I have (or had , perhaps) exactly  the same problem. My configuration is
Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 i386 over a Dell Latitude D520 laptop.

I have to say that i have not seen this problem since more than one week.
Perhaps some of the latests updates have solved it.

Best regards

--
Jorge Tomé Hernando

http://www.jorgetome.info