Gnome settings daemon fails to start once in a while

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Nov 22 18:29:21 UTC 2007

Gutsy 7.10 i386 on ThinkPad T60

Some times when I log in to Gnome, the fonts used for the desktop are
wrong (too big) and a lot of settings are wrong too. There's a pop-up
window saying that the Gnome settings daemon failed to start. See
attached image.

It says:
####################################
There was an error starting the Gnome Settings Daemon.
Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.
The last error message was:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-IKulmccHNE: Connection refused
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

I would say it fails once every 5 logins or so.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/