(New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Update/ upgrade difficulties Thunderbird.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Nov 22 15:27:17 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:

> On 11/21/2007 11:53 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> Perhaps the solution to alleviating future FUD would be to
>>> change the revision to in order to maintain the revision
>>> numbering in the source product.
>> But it _isn't_ - it's plus security patches.  In this
>> case, that might not really make a difference, but often upstream applies
>> their security patches to _their_ latest stable release, which is not
>> always the same thing as downstream's stable version.
> Agreed. But applying small security patches to a source product doesn't
> necessarily mean that the Ubuntu package is updated to a source package,
> even many revisions later.
> I give you Ubuntu's OpenOffice on Feisty for example. OOo on Feisty is
> at 2.2 while Gutsy is at 2.3. There are serious problems with (U)OOo
> 2.2, and still quite a few problems with (U)OOo 2.3. While both may have
> applicable security patches applied, both do not have some features that
> the OpenOffice.org version does (Address Data Sources, Wizards & Base
> are a good example). Then again, (U)OOo have some features that OOo does
> not have (MS Works import filter is an example).

I thought that was _my_ point :-)  You suggested the OOo maintainer should
have changed the revision number to, but it's _really_ with
the same security changes that OOo applied to  I've got no idea if includes anything _but_ security changes, so it could be that
they'd really be the same, but I think it's right for the maintainers to
note that they're only applying patches to the specific version Ubuntu
> Point being is that the user cannot assume that their (U)OOo version 2.2
> is the same as OpenOffice.org's 2.2 or the latest 2.3. Nor can the user
> reasonably expect that (U)TB is the same as Mozilla Thunderbird

Absolutely - if you want, you have to go to Mozilla.