installing a NIC card

usabdasc at aol.com usabdasc at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 17:04:19 UTC 2007

 Hi,

I tried 8139cp.? It was found, but it didn't seem to do much.? I tried 8139 and it seemed to get me part way there.? I can now go into System --> Network Settings and set up an IP address and a Gateway.? A check with ifconfig shows that the IP address I set is present.? Still, the box will not access the web with Firefox and known good local boxes can not be accessed with ping.? Other boxes on the same network successfully ping the same box I am trying to ping.? Other boxes with IP addresses that only differ by a couple of counts in the forth octet access the web with the same gateway.? It seems to me that it should be working.? Any more ideas?

The network chip on the motherboard does not seem to show up in System --> Network Settings or ifconfig.

Thanks,
Bruce