How to disable icon stretch in Gnome Desktop?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Nov 21 00:03:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:02:24 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote
> On Tuesday 20 November 2007 22:05:16 Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > I have locked the background picture for all our users with gconf-editor.
> > Now they have figured out they can download pictures then use the stretch
> > feature to cover the desktop with whatever they want.  This wastes time,
> > and can look pretty poor if anyone tours our labs (who knows what the
> > students will have for photos).  I have been looking for a way to globally
> > force all desktop icons to the default, but have had no luck.  Google just
> > tells me that the feature is there to stretch icons....I know that already
> > :-)  And I've looked at most every setting in gconf-editor and cannot find
> > it.
>
> Hello Jim,
> Maybe we can set permission of readonly for the Desktop direktory? That way
> the student won't be able to save anything on the desktop.

I was really hoping for a response of a modification for gconf-editor's mandatory window
to just snap the stuff back to standard size.  I don't really want to keep them from
saving stuff to the desktop.  Maybe what I want isn't possible without some major
tweaks.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I did find an option in gconf-editor that would
prevent previewing the images so they would just get a generic jpg icon or something, I
might try that first before a complete ban of saving to the desktop.

Thanks again,
Jim