should i remove ubuntu?

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at
Tue Nov 20 16:24:49 UTC 2007

It has been working for about a year. Recently I install mdadm, and
apt gave me lots of errors. I attempted to remove the package with
apt, and it would not remove but instead gave me the same error
messages again. Then I used dpkg -P mdadm and the package did get
removed. However, I can't use apt to remove or add anything any more.
I get an error about a kernel module directory for the kernel I
configured and compiled. I tried using the Ubuntu kernel that comes
with Ubuntu instead and then run sudo dpkg --configure -a. That did
not solve the problem. Here is the error message I get.

chris at ubuntu:~/Desktop/pcsx2$ sudo apt-get install libglew1.4-dev
[sudo] password for chris:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.
chris at ubuntu:~/Desktop/pcsx2$
chris at ubuntu:~/Desktop/mutt-$ sudo apt-get --purge remove mutt
[sudo] password for chris:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
to correct the problem.
chris at ubuntu:~/Desktop/mutt-$
chris at ubuntu:~/Desktop/mutt-$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for chris:
Setting up initramfs-tools (0.85eubuntu20) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-
Cannot find /lib/modules/
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-
dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/chris
chris at ubuntu:~/Desktop/mutt-$

Also is not a kernel I was using when this all
occurred. It was a kernel I compiled vanilla kernel I compiled and
removed a while ago because I could not compile vmware kernel modules
while using it. When the errors began, I was using a kernel I compiled
from the linux-source Ubuntu package that included patches. How can I
fix apt?

- --
Christopher Lemire
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)