Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 18 22:48:05 UTC 2007

On 11/17/2007 06:46 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 11/17/2007 04:37 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
>>

>>>   *-cdrom
>>>        product: DVD Writer 740e
>>>        vendor: HP
>>>        physical id: 0.0.0
>>>        bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0
>>>        logical name: /dev/cdrom1
>>>        logical name: /dev/dvd1
>>>        logical name: /dev/scd0
>>>        logical name: /dev/sr0
>>>        version: 42FF
>>>        serial: [HP      DVD Writer 740e 42FF05/07/26CNMD3905
>>>        capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
>>>        configuration: status=ready
>>>      *-disc
>>>           physical id: 0
>>>           logical name: /dev/cdrom1
>>> I will wait until you reply, if someone else is having this problem this
>>> could result in a fix. By the way, removing the quiet splash entry from
>>> menu.lst made startup much faster.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> It's a USB drive, it's available on /dev/cdrom1 & responding properly.
>>
>> You can create a mount point for it in fstab. Check to see if you have a
>> /media/cdrom1 via Nautilus.
>>

> This is the problem, that one is the usb drive which will not work
> either. There is another cdrom in the list which is my internel dvd
> which is /dev/hdc but it will not read the media no matter what i use. I
> can reboot the lap-top and it will load the live ubuntu but when i
> reboot without the live cd, ubuntu will not recognize the drive. For now
> I am without cdrom support for either drive as ubuntu will not read
> either one. I read somewhere that this is an issue with Gutsy because
> the piix driver has been deprecated. It can be resolved if I can find
> that driver and install it into the ide folder i would think.
>
> Ed

Maybe it is time for a reinstall.

Odd, I've reinstalled Ubuntu more in the past 18 months than in all the
years that I used Windows (DOS to WinXPP). Then again I was/am
sufficiently knowledgeable at troubleshooting just about anything on the
older Win systems. I figure it will take me another few years before I
get as proficient in doing the same on linux...