Gutsy will not recognize dvdr

Ed Miller miller07 at
Sun Nov 18 02:46:35 UTC 2007

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/17/2007 04:37 PM, Ed Miller wrote:
>>   *-cdrom
>>        product: DVD Writer 740e
>>        vendor: HP
>>        physical id: 0.0.0
>>        bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0
>>        logical name: /dev/cdrom1
>>        logical name: /dev/dvd1
>>        logical name: /dev/scd0
>>        logical name: /dev/sr0
>>        version: 42FF
>>        serial: [HP      DVD Writer 740e 42FF05/07/26CNMD3905
>>        capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
>>        configuration: status=ready
>>      *-disc
>>           physical id: 0
>>           logical name: /dev/cdrom1
>> I will wait until you reply, if someone else is having this problem this
>> could result in a fix. By the way, removing the quiet splash entry from
>> menu.lst made startup much faster.
>> Ed
> It's a USB drive, it's available on /dev/cdrom1 & responding properly.
> You can create a mount point for it in fstab. Check to see if you have a
> /media/cdrom1 via Nautilus.
This is the problem, that one is the usb drive which will not work
either. There is another cdrom in the list which is my internel dvd
which is /dev/hdc but it will not read the media no matter what i use. I
can reboot the lap-top and it will load the live ubuntu but when i
reboot without the live cd, ubuntu will not recognize the drive. For now
I am without cdrom support for either drive as ubuntu will not read
either one. I read somewhere that this is an issue with Gutsy because
the piix driver has been deprecated. It can be resolved if I can find
that driver and install it into the ide folder i would think.