problem with a USB serial chip device

bill purvis bil at beeb.net
Sun Nov 18 20:37:17 UTC 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007, Nils Kassube wrote:
> bill purvis wrote:
> > I recently bought a small board with USB chip and cpu on it. This
> > worked fine on my Windows machine with the supplied driver and
> > terminal emulator, but wouldn't work on my Linux system (Mandrake
> > 10.1). This was one of the main things prompting me to switch to
> > Ubuntu. According to the supplier, when you plug it in it should appear
> > as /dev/ttsyUSB0, which it did on Mandrake, but on Ubuntu the only
> > 'new' devices are:
> >
> > /dev/usbdev2.3_ep00	,
> > /dev/usbdev2.3_ep02	and
> > /dev/usbdev2.3_ep81
> >
> > these disappear when I unplug the device. It should act like a
> > simple serial terminal.
> >
> > lsusb produces:
> > Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices
> > International, Ltd 8-bit FIFO
> >
> > amongst the other devices that I expect.
> > This seems OK, but how can I get it to set up
> > /dev/ttsyUSB0 for me?
>
> Maybe this helps in your case too:
> <https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/+question/7438>
>

> Nils
Thanks, that's exactly the problem. Cured by:

apt-get remove brltty

Not that I have anything against blind people, but I think installing
this by default is one of the few things I have against Ubuntu - they
do seem to install an awful lot of things that I really have no need
for....

I'd much prefer a good basic install and the add in the extras, rather
than install almost everything (expect the bits I want).   8-)

Bill
| Bill Purvis, Amateur Mathematician    |
|  email: bil at beeb.net                  |
|  http://bil.members.beeb.net          |