problem with a USB serial chip device

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Nov 18 21:50:49 UTC 2007

bill purvis wrote:
> I'd much prefer a good basic install and the add in the extras, rather
> than install almost everything (expect the bits I want).   8-)

I think we don't agree here. It reminds me of my very first Linux
installation. It was a slow 386 machine and I was asked for every single
package if I wanted it installed. I had a good knowledge of my hardware,
but for many packages I didn't know if I needed it or not. Therefore I
probably installed much more than necessary - it took nearly an entire
day until the installation was finished because of those many questions.
I think it is much better to install a lot more than necessary without
any questions, especially if the distribution wants to be usefull for
people who don't already know anything about Linux.

Nils