[Feisty 7.04] System Log doesn't work and question about System Restore

John Toliver john.toliver at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 03:10:58 UTC 2007

Thank you for responding to my original posts.  I completely missed the
push in the right direction.  I just gave up and installed Gutsy.  I
test the user log and it works so maybe my burned CD was bad.  I don't
know.  I will still go over the information.  I'm not criticizing but I
come from a windows background, so what do I do if (when) Ubuntu
crashes, either by itself, or because I do something dumb and damage it?

Is it possible when I backup my home folder to save the settings that go
with each program I have installed, so that when I reinstall the
programs recognixe the configurations from the old installation.
Basically does some document on system recovery exist on steps to
perform etc.  Does the install CD have some repair commands to use etc?

Thank you for your responses.